History of the Hayward Motorcycle Club
Founded in 1946 by Billy Rose and Vets returning from WWII, the Hayward Motorcycle Club was originally called the Hayward Gremlins. The name was changed shortly afterward to the Hayward Motorcycle Club for a more macho name, according to Rose. The club has been known over the years for operating the Hayward Speedway on Depot Road in Hayward where many future champions got their start in flat track racing. The club operated the track into the 1970’s.
The Cowbell Enduro has also been a large focus of the club since it’s inception in 1946. Billy Rose recalled before his passing how the original Cowbell Enduro started in Hayward, went out through Niles Canyon, Calaveras Road over Mt Hamilton, past the prison which we now know as Frank Raines OHV Park and back roads returning to Hayward. Enduro’s were popular in the 60’s and 70’s. The now infamous 1970 Cowbell had over 1500 entrants. A heavy downpour of rain trapped many riders near the Eel river and forced them to leave their bikes and walk out or spend the night in the woods. Helicopters from local lumber companies were lifting out bikes for $40 a piece.
The present Cowbell Enduro which takes place the first Saturday in November each year is held in Upper Lake, CA at the Middlecreek campground. In the year 2015 the event will be the 69th annual Cowbell.
The Hayward Motorcycle Club is Chartered with the American Motorcyclist Association and District 36.